Promoter Oleksandr Krasyuk, who represents WBA, WBO, IBO, and IBF super heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk, spoke with IFL TV about the status of his fighter's bout against WBC champion Tyson Fury (34-0-1, 24 KOs).
The bout with Fury will definitely not take place in December.
"We expected Fury to fight Usyk on December 23, as that was our agreement, and both parties signed it. However, we've been involved in boxing for some time, and we know that if a fighter is not ready and does not want to step into the ring, you can't push him; he will never do it. But the world is eagerly awaiting a big fight, so we have to be flexible."
- "So, will Usyk be fighting on December 23rd?"
- "No, no, Usyk won't be fighting on December 23rd. The bout has been postponed to early 2024. That's how we've decided. Right now, Usyk is shooting videos for the upcoming fight and returning to his training camp in Spain."
- "Regarding the negotiations you had with Frank Warren and the Saudis, what's the situation? Will the bout take place in Saudi Arabia in February 2024?"
- "If everything goes as planned, something will be announced next week. So, I'd rather not... Let's put it this way, it wouldn't be good if I announce something before next week."
- "Do you believe the fight will happen in February 2024?"
- "With all due respect to Tyson Fury, he has avoided Usyk for so long that I won't believe in this fight until I hear the bell. That's my personal opinion," said Krasyuk.
Is the Usyk vs. Ngannou bout real?
- "What did you think of Fury's performance in the fight against Ngannou?"
- "Performance? He wasn't lucky. He failed to be self-assured, didn't notice his opponent, and treated him without boxing respect. And he paid for it."
- "Is a bout between Usyk and Ngannou possible?"
- "We're going a different way. We're chasing glory. We're pursuing a legacy. The legacy is in the titles, and the WBC belt belongs to Tyson Fury. So, right now, we need Fury.”
It has also been officially announced that Ready To Fight and K2 Promotions have entered into a collaboration.